This document will walk you through step by step tutorial to create a digital routable map for your mobile phone.
1: Steps to get data from OSM:
1. Goto www.openstreetmap.org
2. Keyin your country or city name in Search box and click Go
3. Click on your country or city name in Search Results and click Export tab
4. Select OpenStreetMap XML Data format and click Export
5. After click Export button, your browser will allow you to download a file map.osm
Keep this file for later use.
2: Steps to generate map data for VGPS:
1. Download java SE Development Kit JDK 6 Update 21 and install it on your PC. You can check whether or not your PC has Java by open windows command line, and type java. If your PC has java, it will show you the version of installed java. VGPSGenerator needs java jdk version 1.5.0_16 or above in order to run.
2. Download VGPSMapGenerator.zip and unzip it to c:\vgps folder in your PC
3. Copy file map.osm into c:\vgps folder. You can rename map.osm to YourCountryCity.osm
4. Open command line window, change to c:\vgps folder and run osm2vgps
You may need to open 2 batch files osm2vgps.bat and JarMarker.bat to change the “set path=c:\windows; c:\windows\command; C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16\bin; C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16\lib;” to the java jdk installation location of your PC.
Change the line “java -Xmx1024m ImportMap London.osm” in file osm2vgps.bat to “java -Xmx1024m ImportMap map.osm” where map.osm is the file you get from step 3.
After you have done with the changes, type osm2vgps and enter.
5. VGPS map generator will run and process your map.osm file
6. After VGPS Map Generator finished, you will have 4 files: VGPS.jad, VGPS.jar, VGPS179.jad, VGPS179.jar
7. For java phone, if your phone has internal GPS receiver, transfer VGPS179.jad/VGPS179.jar and install it on your phone. If your phone does not have internal GPS receiver, transfer VGPS.jad/VGPS.jar and install it on your phone.
8. Run VGPS on your phone and enjoy digital mobile map of your country/city on your mobile phone.
9. For android phhone, copy VGPS.jar to android phone memory card and use VGPS Offline Map (Full version) to open the VGPS.jar file.
No Comments »
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.