You can download and try VGPS before you buy it! For java phone, latest version is 6.5; For android phone, latest version is 8.2.
For java phone (normal phone), you can download trial version from this website. Trial version includes all features except only one limitation: Trial version will not calculate shortest or fastest route between 2 points on the map that have distance > 5km. Other than that, it is fully-functional. For java phone (normal phone), VGPS has two versions: VGPS179.jar and VGPS.jar. If your phone has internal GPS receiver, install VGPS179.jar version. If your phone does not have internal GPS receiver, install VGPS.jar version. If you are not sure whether your phone has internal GPS receiver or not, install VGPS.jar version.
For android phone (smart phone), you can download demo version from Android Market to try before you buy. Click here to search VGPS in Android Market.
VGPS supports vector map data from Custom Garmin map and OpenStreetMap. VGPS did not support Garmin map in NT format.
Steps to generate VGPS map for your phone
1. Download VGPSMapGenerator.zip (size 5114111) version 7.6, date 03-Dec-2011.
2. After download VGPSMapGenerator.zip, unzip to c:\vgps folder in your PC.
3. Inside c:\vgps folder, you will find 3 bat files: mp2vgps.bat, osm2vgps.bat and JarMaker.bat. Open them with notepad and change the line:
set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16\lib;
to java JDK’s location on your PC. (If your PC does not have java JDK, you can download latest java JDK (Java SE) from www.oracle.com). If you use latest java JDK, remember to modify the path in 3 bat files: mp2vgps.bat, osm2vgps.bat and JarMaker.bat to point the path to your latest java JDK’s location on your PC.
4. VGPS supports localization. You can translate the file language.txt to your language. When VGPS runs on your phone, VGPS will display all commands and messages in your language.
5. Inside c:\vgps folder, you will find 2 sample data files. Singapore.mp is sample data in Garmin polish format. London.osm is sample data in OpenStreetMap xml format.
For custom garmin map data, you can use gpsmapedit (www.geopainting.com) to open your custom garmin map file, select file - properties to delete all zoom levels, just keep the most detail zoom level (level 0) then export to mp file and try with VGPSMapGenerator.
For openstreetmap data, you can goto www.openstreetmap.org website, browse the area you want to get data then click on “Export” tab and select “OpenStreetMap XML Data” to download map data in OpenStreetMap xml format. Openstreetmap website won’t let you export an area with more than 50000 nodes, but it’s enough for a quick test of VGPSMapGenerator.
If you need larger area, you can try to use wget and xapi to download it from openstreetmap.org. Download wget from here. Open command window and run this command to download your desired area:
* left is the longitude of the left (westernmost) side of the bounding box.
* bottom is the latitude of the bottom (southernmost) side of the bounding box.
* right is the longitude of the right (easternmost) side of the bounding box.
* top is the latitude of the top (northernmost) side of the bounding box.
For example, following command will get latest (up-to-date) Singapore map data from openstreetmap.org:
If you have problem with using wget and xapi to download osm data or need bigger osm files (state or country), try to download .osm files from these places:
Note: geofabrik.de has most up-to-date osm data than cloudmade.com
You can use Osmosis, a command line Java application for processing OSM data. For example, assume that you want to generate offline map data for Bangalore (capital of the Indian state of Karnataka), follow the step by step instructions below:
a. Download karnataka.osm.bz2 from here:
or download india.osm.bz2 from here:
Note: geofabrik.de has most up-to-date osm data than cloudmade.com
b. Goto www.openstreetmap.org, type Bangalore in search box and click Go, to view Bangalore map
c. Click on Export tab, click Manually select a different area, Drag a box on the map to select an area. For example select area top=13.155 left=77.342 bottom=12.753 right=77.797
d. Take note of the 4 boundarie numbers, we will use them with Osmosis to cut Bangalore map data from karnataka.osm.bz2 or india.osm.bz2 file.
e. Download Osmosis from here and unzip osmosis-latest.zip into C:\osmosis folder
f. Download bzcat.exe from here and put bzcat.exe in C:\osmosis\bin folder
g. Copy file karnataka.osm.bz2 or india.osm.bz2 download from step a. to C:\osmosis\bin folder
h. Run window command line and change folder to C:\osmosis\bin, type:
C:\osmosis\bin\bzcat karnataka.osm.bz2 | osmosis —read-xml enableDateParsing=no file=-\ —bounding-box top=13.155 left=77.342 bottom=12.753 right=77.797 —write-xml file=Bangalore.osm
or if you download india.osm.bz2 from http://download-int.geofabrik.de/osm/asia/, type:
C:\osmosis\bin\bzcat india.osm.bz2 | osmosis —read-xml enableDateParsing=no file=-\ —bounding-box top=13.155 left=77.342 bottom=12.753 right=77.797 —write-xml file=Bangalore.osm
Osmosis will process karnataka.osm.bz2 or india.osm.bz2 and create Bangalore.osm file.
Please note that osmosis’s parameters start with 2 dashes ‘-’ and ‘-’ without space in between. If osmosis reports error, please check osmosis’s 3 parameters: ‘read-xml’, ‘bounding’, ‘write-xml’ to make sure they start with 2 dashes ‘-’ and ‘-’ without space in between. For example, parameter ‘read-xml’ should start with 2 dashes like this: —write-xml.
After getting .osm files, use the .osm files with VGPSMapGenerator to generate map for VGPS. Copy file Bangalore.osm from step h. to C:\vgps folder
6. VGPS supports multi languages. Your map data can be saved in unicode UTF-8 format, VGPS will display street name and point name in your language.
7. run c:\vgps\mp2vgps.bat to import Garmin data (in polish format) to VGPS.
8. edit file osm2vgps.bat to point to file Bangalore.osm from step h. and run c:\vgps\osm2vgps.bat to import OpenStreetMap data (in xml format) to VGPS.
9. If you have map data in other format, you can convert them into Garmin polish format and import it to VGPS.
10. After mp2vgps.bat or osm2vgps.bat finish, you will see 2 files VGPS.jar and VGPS179.jar.
11. For java phone, install VGPS.jar (or VGPS179.jar if your phone has internal GPS receiver) on your phone.
12. For android phone, copy file VGPS.jar to your phone memory card and use VGPS Offline Map (Full version) to open it.
Congratulation, you have gone through a long process to setup a working environment to generate offline map data for VGPS. It is a long process but once you have finished the setup, you can repeat the process (or use batch file to automate the process) to generate offline map data for any city/country around the world. VGPS is the only offline map solution that provide you total control of which map data you want to use offline. You no longer need to wait for map provider company to update the map data for you, you can update the map data as and when you want. You can use not only openstreetmap data but also any vector map data you have: campus map, outdoor map, ski map, mountain map, forest map, golf map… You just need to convert your vector map data to open street map xml format or Garmin polish format then you can use them offline. We hope you enjoy this total offline solution.
Buy VGPS Offline Map Full Version for Android
You can buy VGPS Offline Map Full Version for Android from the Android Market. Click here to search VGPS in Android Market.
After you buy VGPS Offline Map Full Version from the Android Market, for a quick start to use VGPS, you can download offline map data files from mediafire VGPS offline maps
Put the .jar files in your android memory card and use VGPS to open the .jar file.
3 Comments »
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.